Monday, August 20, 2012

Cut Flowers of the Farm this week

So harvesting last weeks load of cut flowers for my farmers markets was beyond awesome with all the crazy colors and textures going on in the fields. My late crop of zinnias is finally popping up and my euphoria! 
 Description of Photo
Description of Photo 
I had a date planned with the Lumberjack on Saturday and I thought I had gotten all the harvesting done the day before but after taking a walk with Subie around the farm I discovered a whole new harvest of flowers had popped up! 
Description of Photo 
Description of Photo 
Knowing that I had my big Sunday market the next day I quickly ran back to the farm house and filled the buckets with water and began cutting like a mad woman in the field. Normally I have my two summer helpers with me for harvest but I attempted to do it all by myself and as quick as possible. 
Description of Photo 
I totally lost track of time and when the Lumberjack finally got home from doing woodsy work I had only gotten a quarter of the harvest finished. I thought he was going to be mad but he just grabbed an extra pair of clippers from the truck and started cutting with me, even though he had been working all day! He is the most perfect man that ever lived. 
Description of Photo 
By the time we were done it was nine o'clock at night and pitch black so that squashed our plans of the Boardwalk for dinner on Lake George. I was happy I got an extra harvest in but sad that I had missed a chance to spend sometime together off the farm, so just as I was saying we could just stay in and cuddle on the couch he told me to go throw a dress on. He surprised me with a late night dennys date. ♥ 
Description of Photo 
It was a wonderful Saturday. Harvesting in the evening as the sun goes down with the crickets chirping and the air turning cooler with the most adorable beardy man in the world was amazing. 
Description of Photo 
Those Persian carpets were a huge hit on Sunday. I sold every single stem. People just love those crazy colors. 
Description of Photo 
I noticed a rouge sunflower popping up in a field I haven't used in two years that we decided to use this season. As we were weeding out bed plots at the start of the season one of the girls who works for me in the summer thought it was a weed and almost pulled it out! I told her to leave it be and weed around it. It will probably be in bloom next week. Funny how this is an annual sunflower that spent two years dormant in the ground even though its not supposed to make it through our rough Adirondack winters. 
Description of Photo
The button zinnias finally decided to show up this season. A little bit late but still cute and they make the cutest little mini bouquets! 
It was a beautiful color filled week! 

Have a lovely day!

Lav. A 

No comments:

Post a Comment